[Linux-aus] Re: [LACTTE] Constitution Version 6 - Last one!

Anand Kumria akumria at linux.org.au
Tue Jan 6 00:08:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 02:26:50AM +1100, Pia Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 01:36, Anand Kumria wrote:
> > > This is the final Proposal for Constitution changes unless anyone makes
> > > any other necessary suggestions.
> >
> > Well you are probably aware that notice needs to have been by the
> > secretary 21 days prior to an SGM (Section 26 part 2). Currently the
> > SGM/AGM is marked down for the 15th Jan -- so notice needed to have been
> > given by the 25th December.
>
> Notice was given in due time about the SGM, and the AGM (although the
> AGM only requires 14 days notice) >
> Please read the email by Stewart Smith dated Dec 22nd, which had notice
> and an agenda for both events.

Okay, agreed but I think you can only examine the amendments you listed
in draft 5.

> This is a minor change, which I believe is acceptable, if not we already
> had version 5 out at the time of notice, and we can pass that instead.
>
> > > The only change from version 5 is creating the ability for the
> > > Secretary to approve or reject applications without having to refer to
> > > the committee unless necessary. This will remove the need to have a
> > > meeting to approve members. The secretary may defer decisions to the
> > > committee of course.
>
> > But it also means the secretary can reject membership, outright, with no
> > recourse.
>
> No it doesn't, if you could please read the draft, and find:
> "As soon as practicable after receiving an application for membership,
> the Secretary is to approve the application or must refer the
> application to the committee which is to determine whether to approve or
> to reject the application."

That doesn't exist in draft5 (or 6 or 7).

Only the list of proposed changes is what is voted on, not the
incorporatations. As I said, your changes don't match the text. Only
change six <URL: http://www.linux.org.au/org/new/constitutionv5.phtml>
references rule 3 and it says:
	"In rule 3, APPLICATION FOR MEMBERSHIP, also replace clause (4)
	with the following:

	      (4) The Secretary must ensure all required member details
	      are kept in a central location, and are up to date on a
	      best effort basis."

> This says, that the secretary many outright approve, OR defer the
> decision to the committee.
>
> > > Please find this version at
> > > http://www.linux.org.au/org/new/constitutionv6.phtml
> >
> > [[ Note: it wasn't linked in from http://www.linux.org.au/org/, ]]
> > [[ nor was number 7. I've just updated that page so they are    ]]
> >
> > While regarding over the proposed changes I was struck by how some
> > proposed mechanism, some policy and some specified both. Also some
> > changes listed in the amended version of the consitituion (e.g. Section
> > 3, parts 4, 5 and 6) don't appear in the list of proposed changes.
> >
> > I've chosen to use the changes and apply them to a 'pristine'
> > consititution.
> >
> > Some other problems:
> > 	- The Committee can award honourary lifetime memership but that
> > 	only requires a majority (4). Surely something like that ought
> > 	to require a unianimous decision?
>
> I think quorum is ok. Does anyone else have an issue with this?
>
> > 	- I'm unclear why change (6) is required. It says the same
> > 	  thing but more cumbersomely
>
> the words 'best effort' are important.

Which begs the question, why are they important? It isn't immediately
clear to me.

> Also someone being entered in the database doesn't immediately make
> them a member. Other stuff is required.

Actually all that is required is that the committee (or the secretary on
behalf of the committee) accept them as a member.

> > 	- Change 7, says that membership ceases at the AGM. I'm worried
> > 	  that there might be some strange interaction with that and the
> > 	  '28 days to pay rule' (Rule 3, Part 3). Also I think the
> > 	  second sentence of change 7 is unnecessary.
>

> It is necessary otherwise life members are included in the cycle of
> payments, which they shouldn't be.
>
> > 	- Change 8 needs to be modified unless there are lifetime
> > 	  organisation or group membership's available
>
> Why not?

Imagine if it already existed and we gave lifetime membership to, say,
SCO. Need I say anything more? Reviewing organisation affliations and
membership regularly is healthy.

> > 	- Change 10, since you have Rule 2 part (c) is why I flag the
> > 	  second sentence of Change 7 as unnecessary.
>
> it is easier to manage on an agm to agm basis.

> > 	- Change 19, doesn't appear to be required. If you have both a
> > 	  President and VP who won't call a meeting to order, this
> > 	  allows it to occur.
>
> Anyone second this change?

We can just vote on it at the SGM I think.

> > 	- Change 20; second part replaces "or by" with "and". Does that
> > 	  mean you need to have 3 present _and_ 3 proxy members?
>
> No, you misread. The "and" is in part (2) and requires that a
> chairperson must be supported by three other members to have a poll.
> Part of the removing too many powers from _ALL_ individuals to ensure a
> democracy.

Actually I think you don't understand the impact that change will have.
what if the chairperson _doesn't_ want to have a poll on the issue? In
that case 3 members can force him/her to have one. The advantage of
being chairperson is that you don't need 2 other people to support you
in your need for a poll.

> > 	- Change 22; removes the ability of the membership to override
> > 	  the committee. Why is part (2) deleted? Surely you want money
> > 	  to be deposited as soon as possible?
>
> Part (2) is not deleted, what crack are you smoking ;)

I'm reading change 22:

"In rule 35, FUNDS SOURCE, delete "general" from (1) and insert
"committee".

Delete (2)"

> > 	- Change 23; is unneccessary, Common/Company seals are no longer
> > 	  required for companies or associations in NSW (they are
> > 	  optional).
>
> Actually, if you read the NSW organisations constitution guide, it _IS_
> still a requirement.

I can't see it anywhere, where are you looking?

Since ASIC don't require it of Company's (and we also fall under their
legislation) I'm sure NSW FairTrading don't require it either.

Regards,
Anand

--
 `` We are shaped by our thoughts, we become what we think.
 When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never