[Linux-aus] Nomination

Michael Davies michael at msdavies.net
Mon Jan 5 09:11:02 UTC 2004

<quote who="Michael Still">
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Michael Davies wrote:
>>
>> Indeed.  Greater cooperation is a good thing, but at the end of the
>> day, AUUG and LA are both trying to be the leading OSS representative
>> group in Australia, so there is an opportunity for conflict of
>> interest.
>
> Agreed. I would agrue however that all people are open to a conflict of
>  interest -- for instance the president of a group of people like LA
> could  quite easily manipulate things for their own financial benefit.
> What stops  that from happening is that you elect people you trust to
> behave
> responsibly, and you have other people on the committee who are
> independant of that person.

Also agreed.  However given the continual growth of the Linux.Conf.Au
conference, and the recent influx of formalised memberships, I think it's
important for Linux Australia to crystalise what makes Linux Australia
fun, exciting and attractive to the OSS community, and not simply become a
different AUUG (and that's not criticising AUUG in any way - see below).

> Therefore, at least to me, it comes down to a question of whether you
> trust me to act in the best interests of LA or not. I can't answer that
>  question for each voter -- only they can.

I'm sure you'd do a great job.

I just want to underline I have no beef against any person who has so far
nominated, or believe that they would not act in LA's best interests.  I
also have no beef against AUUG.  I'm a member of both AUUG and LA, and so
helping to organise LCA2004 could also have been an opportunity for not
having LA's best interests at heart :-)   I think having both groups is
valuable, and I'd hate for the distinctives of either to be lost going
forward.

See you all in Adelaide in a week's time :-)

--
Michael Davies               Linux.Conf.Au Adelaide Jan 12-17 2004
michael at msdavies dot net  Australia's National Linux Conference