[Linux-aus] Nomination: Andrew Cowie

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Sun Jan 4 22:51:01 UTC 2004

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 21:03, Andrew Cowie wrote:
> I'd like to put my name forward for re-election as Secretary of Linux
> Australia.

Seconded, and with the observation that Andrew has been invaluable for
the corporate stuff in the past year.

WRT his AUUG OCMship, the idea was that there should be some personal
representation on both boards, so that there was some direct
understanding involved. The idea was most definitely not to merge the
organisations (although the concept has been raised a few times), and
not to confuse their personalities.

AUUG and LA have surprisingly little overlap, with AUUG tending to do
the more formal big-corporate and government thing reasonably
competently, and LA covering most of everything else. AUUG seems to be
trying to re-invent itself and with reasonable success, and LA seems to
be aimed in the right direction but only now reaching escape velocity.
It's in the nature of Open Source to have several parallel streams
anyway, so even if there was significant overlap, there would be no
tears in my beers<*> over it.

Cheers; Leon

<*> Actually, I'm a weird Aussie, I don't like the taste of beer,
    watermelon, chops or sausages. But there would be no tears in
    my freshly crushed mango and guava drink, anyway... (-:

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia