[LACTTE] Re: [Linux-aus] Constitution Version 6 - Last one!

Pia Smith pia at linux.org.au
Sun Jan 4 15:57:43 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 18:36, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Pia Smith">
>
> > This is the final Proposal for Constitution changes unless anyone makes
> > any other necessary suggestions. The only change from version 5 is
> > creating the ability for the Secretary to approve or reject applications
> > without having to refer to the committee unless necessary. This will
> > remove the need to have a meeting to approve members. The secretary may
> > defer decisions to the committee of course.
>
> Wouldn't it make sense to do this the other way around? So that the
> committee has the responsibility, but may delegate it as necessary? I am
> used to constitutions that operate this way. Then the committee can sort out
> the specifics of how to deal with it, rather than just the secretary.

Refer to Application for membership, you are quoting from another
section of the document.

It doesn't specify the secretary in the document (please read it first
next time), it merely removes the line that says the secretary refers
the decision to the committee, and then exchanges the line "If the
committee determines to approve an application for membership" for "If
an application is approved" so that the function can be delegated to
anyone. The most logical first choice is the secretary, sorry for the
confusion.

Pia
--
Pia Smith <pia at linux.org.au>