[Linux-aus] Chilling effect?

David Lloyd lloy0076 at dsl.homeunix.com
Tue Feb 24 11:36:06 UTC 2004

Con et al,

> > Recently, a denizen of the PLUG mailing list asked the National
> > Australia Bank why they don't support Mozilla. NAB's reply amounted to
> > "because it's Open Source" and they have so far refused to explain how
> > this has any bearing on their policy.
>
> There's nothing new here. They weren't supporting Netscape or
> Opera either in recent times, and it has nothing to do with
> them being FOSS (they're not)

However, if one likes conspiracy theories:

 1. NAB divests itself of St George Bank
 2. St George owns BankSA

NAB becomes "proactively" anti-open source (their last response to me
re: Mozilla amunted to, "Well, it's your responsibility and if it works,
it works and if it doesn't, it doesn't).

Suddenly, we get a heap of South Australians getting shut out of BankSA
unless they masquerade as a closed source browser. And the SLUG guys are
starting to complain about St George Bank.

This could all be coincidental, I guess, but it's all a little too
coincidental to me.

DSL

(ps: Openwebmail really *sucks*)