[Linux-aus] Chilling effect?

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Tue Feb 24 11:08:02 UTC 2004

Recently, a denizen of the PLUG mailing list asked the National
Australia Bank why they don't support Mozilla. NAB's reply amounted to
"because it's Open Source" and they have so far refused to explain how
this has any bearing on their policy.

Yesterday, I had a discussion with a fellow FOSS advocate in which he
related to me that three of his customers (one Government department
and two over-$100M/a corporations) have recently said, point blank,
that they now have a policy of no Open Source at all, and that such
Open Source applications and/or operating systems as existed in the
company were to be promptly replaced.

None of the three would explain why this was so, and said peer was not
in a situation to press them on the issue (read: many tens of thousands
of dollars' worth of work hanging in the balance in each case).

Have any of you run across this kind of behaviour (or more of it) just
in the last month or two?

Do any of you live on the other side of this question, and know of any
specific reason why these organisations might be doing this?

If you'd like an anonymous word, mail me saying so and I'll post the
body of your message completely sanitised and delete your original
email from my systems.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Vice President, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA