[Linux-aus] Open Source Monoculture

Arjen Lentz arjen at mysql.com
Wed Feb 18 06:00:02 UTC 2004

Hi Brad,

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 18:16, Brad Hards wrote:
> The failures tend to come from explosive growth in pest populations (eg
> locusts) or from natural disasters (fire, flood, hail). An agricultural
> polyculture (characterised by mixed trees, various crops in different stages
> of development, animals, people, small plots - as you see in subsistence
> living and more modern permaculture environments) tends to have moderating
> influences for those things, and catastrophic failures are rarer.

Indeed. I don't think we're disagreeing even on that ;-)

> In regard to jdub's original questions, I think that FOSS deployments in the
> server arena are tending to "a number of minor variations on a single theme".
> Those minor variations may not be enough to provide the resilence we need to
> a truly major failure (case: breakins on a number of our major sites - Debian
> and Savannah). The desktop variation is greater, but there are still a number
> of key shared vulnerabilities (eg a buffer overflow on libxml2 or libxslt
> would be bad for both Gnome and KDE). In terms of total vulnerability, any
> variation is likely to help though.

Indeed. That's why I also suggested (but haven't received any feedback
on) my suggestion that closed source implementation of open standards
could play a part, too.

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Technical Writer, Trainer
Brisbane, QLD Australia

Sydney 7 Jun 2004 (5 days): Using & Managing MySQL Training
Training,Support,Licenses,T-shirts @ https://order.mysql.com/?marl