[Linux-aus] Go Canberra! (Open Letter to Darl from Nathan Hand)

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Tue Feb 17 09:10:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 04:09, Con Zymaris wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:08:19AM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> [quoting NathanH]
> >   * We fully recognise your right to defend your IP. We ask that
> >     you recognise our right to defend our IP. This means obeying
> >     the terms of our licenses. You must stop distributing Linux,
> >     Samba and GCC unless you are willing to agree to the terms
> >     of our General Public License (GPL).

> Nothing wrong with the letter, but I don't think it's worth trying to
> reason with SCO.

I don't think that's really what he's trying to do. It's a nice finesse,
if it works. Wait and see.

> I also think it's a tactical dis-advantage to give them any more
> publicity than they are already getting.

If you have a careful think about what TSG are trying to achieve, and
how, I suspect that they won't take this bait. However, if they do they
will be giving our side of the story free publicity too, in ways we
couldn't otherwise arrange.

> Pointing out to the mainstream IT press just where SCO have lied,
> time and again, and how SCO's plot to milk cows which they don't own
> has been derailed by Novell and subsequently extirpated as the basis
> of the court case, is a positive activity.

Yes, and I'm doing that, but it's wearing both for us and for the
audience.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Vice President, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA