[Linux-aus] Go Canberra! (Open Letter to Darl from Nathan Hand)

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Tue Feb 17 04:12:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:08:19AM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2004-02-15-006-26-OP-KN-LL
>
>     Over the past 12 months The SCO Group's lawsuit against IBM
>     has spilled over into new territory. What was initially a
>     contract dispute between IBM and The SCO Group has now
>     mutated into a war of words between The SCO Group and the
>     Linux community. I am tired of the conflict and I propose a
>     truce; a way forward for both our organisations.
>
>     Here are our terms of the truce:
>
>   * We fully recognise your right to defend your IP. We ask that
>     you recognise our right to defend our IP. This means obeying
>     the terms of our licenses. You must stop distributing Linux,
>     Samba and GCC unless you are willing to agree to the terms
>     of our General Public License (GPL).

Nothing wrong with the letter, but I don't think it's worth trying to
reason with SCO. In 12 months of activity, they haven't once shown
themselves to be a credible, ethical nor meritorious organisation with
which you can come to any sort of agreement with.

I also think it's a tactical dis-advantage to give them any more publicity
than they are already getting.

Pointing out to the mainstream IT press just where SCO have lied, time and
again, and how SCO's plot to milk cows which they don't own has been
derailed by Novell and subsequently extirpated as the basis of the court
case, is a positive activity. Anything else lends them credence they don't
deserve.

Con Zymaris <conz at cyber.com.au> Level 4, 10 Queen St, Melbourne, Australia
Web: http://www.cyber.com.au/  Phone: 03 9621 2377   Fax: 03 9621 2477