[Linux-aus] Never mind the MyDoom crap, make some noise about this!

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Mon Feb 9 21:07:02 UTC 2004

OK I believe you.

How do we present that objectively and with supporting evidence? And
which points can we argue against sensibly as IT people, and which are
better left to other groups?

1)Obviously all international agreements reduce sovereignty somewhat.
That doesn't mean they are all bad unless you are into wearing tin foil
hats.

2)How can they clamp your FOSS project? Surely the copyright owners
still have to show evidence of infringement.

3)Struggling to find an objection to the DMCA thing. Someone else play
devils advocate on this one. DMCA just sucks.

4)Seems a bit wishy washy. Bit of personal opinion there perhaps ;-)

5)I object to bloody Disney personally. But I don't see how this hurts
IT or free software specifically. I can't see how increasing the length
of copyright hurts us. The timeframes are already very big in relation
to the pace of technology. By the time any part of the Linux kernel
falls into the public domain, I think Microsoft would be welcome to it.

You didn't mention the bit about agreement to work towards reducing
differences in the area of patents. That looks sneaky.

Isn't free trade all about removing subsidies and trade barriers and
stuff. What about the barrier to Australian businesses entering markets
dominated by powerful US companies whose power is protected by unjust
government grants of monopolies over intellectual property? I don't see
that barrier to international trade addressed anywhere. Is this an
oversight?