[Linux-aus] Open Source Australia: Let's just make a mailing list? (Was: Organizing an Australian Open Source Roadshow?)

Pia Smith pia at linux.org.au
Thu Feb 5 21:11:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 00:14, David Lloyd wrote:

<snip>
> technology benefit my business and make my business more profitable than my
> competitors?" - and going on a "Open source is good because you can see the
> source" isn't the right answer here at all. The right answer in this case
> might be: "Well, given your current infrastructure and staff expertise our
> advice is to slowly implement a free unix web server--we advise Linux with
> Apache 2.0--in a planned, defined manner. Here's a detailed spreadsheet
> showing the cost benefit to your company once the solution has been running
> for a year and here are some case studies that show the benefits this type
> of change has made to other businesses. We can put you into contact with
> many companies who would be willing to provide initial training and support
> through our OSIA directory."

As well as the arguments of strategic and economic freedoms from forced
upgrades, ability for real choice of provider based on quality of
service rather than lock-down to one company, local expertise, saved
resources (don't have to pay someone to administer licensing), cut down
migration costs long term (migrate everything once, and never again).
There are many real business cases for open source to business and even
more interesting benefits to government (such as turning an import
economy into and export economy, keeping the IT budget in the country,
local solutions, local support). I have given this talk a few times now
and the benefits of using an open source solution far surpass the
immediate cost benefits. Maybe we need as part of our roadshow:

- Business case talk
- Case studies
- Demonstration lab (with SAP, Oracle and other interesting apps shown
on linux)
- Nibblies and drinks, to loosen their prejudices ;)

I also suggest, if we were to incorporate the gov aspect, that we use
case studies of how other countries are already having real benefits
from using FOSS solutions.

> > If more structure is needed, let it come as it is required.  Already
> > many of those involved are AUUG/LA people, so we can draw on those
> > organisations and synergise with them.
>
> Precisely, and we will, and there will be great rejoicing.

Indeed :)

Pia
--
Pia Smith <pia at linux.org.au>