[Linux-aus] A Current Affair Report on MyDoom Tonight

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Wed Feb 4 20:16:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 07:22:00PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:49, linux-aus at amos.mailshell.com wrote:
> > Leon Brooks wrote:
> > There is still the point that Windows people keep making that Windows
> > viruses are so abound just because it is so popular - showing that
> > there are a few hundreds/thousands of viruses for Mac might weaken
> > this point.
>
> If that were true as stated, and Macs have 5% of the total market, we
> would expect to see roughly 4200 Mac viruses. Probably as many Linux
> viruses by now, as well. Yet it ain't happening.

you can't draw that linear growth relationship with respect to platform
percentages and virus numbers.

However!

you can make use of the Apache paradox, which goes something like this:

If Microsoft's thesis is correct and Linux isn't whacked by viruses
because it has insignificant desktop market share, then how do they
explain Apache which has 67% of the global web server market, yet is
considerably less of a malware and cracker target than Microsoft's own IIS
which has only one-third of the market that Apache has?

Con Zymaris <conz at cyber.com.au> Level 4, 10 Queen St, Melbourne, Australia
Web: http://www.cyber.com.au/  Phone: 03 9621 2377   Fax: 03 9621 2477