[Linux-aus] A Current Affair Report on MyDoom Tonight

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Wed Feb 4 12:03:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:29, Con Zymaris wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 09:19:40AM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> cull the following...

>> "In launching these attacks, and in choking people's inboxes with
>> unwanted and annoying filth, the greedy spammers are inviting a
>> reaction from some of the more avaricious and controlling
>> corporations which will poison the waterhole for us all.

I want to labour that point, so rather than cull I would urge a
rephrase.

>> "There are now over 85,000 known Microsoft-related viruses and a
>> handful

> there are several thousand for the Mac...

Closer to a few hundred, and effectively none for OS X. Certainly none
*specific* to OS X. None that you would reasonably expect to impact
anything shipped by Apple in the last 3 years.

> > for everyone else (none of them effective against any current Linux
> > system). A new one isn't going to prove any point, it's not going
> > to make a hero of the author, it's just going to be one more pebble
> > building towards an avalanche of negative reaction.

> the above is fairly hyperbolic.

True. How would you make it punchier without losing the message?

>> "If we have any word for the creator of MyDoom, it's 'please don't
>> ever do anything like this again'. If you want to be creative, be

> this isn't going to make a lick of difference adding this in,

Disagree, but I would like to see it rephrased. Without being too
obvious about it, I'd like to embed "altar calls" in as many releases
as possible.

> What else can we add to make a punchy conclusion.

It would sound self-serving, but the opportunity to somehow slide in
mention that no Linux user became a spam/virus relay during all of this
is calling out.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA