[Linux-aus] Re: [Osia-discuss] SWPAT: no spwats 4 Xmas -- big surprise in Brussels!

Steven D'Aprano steve at cyber.com.au
Thu Dec 23 12:41:16 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 12:29:14PM +1100, Con Zymaris wrote:

> re:  http://www.builderau.com.au/manage/0,39024662,39171460,00.htm
>
> I like this...
>
>  "I find it hypocritical that a lot of the noise around patents is made
>  by companies that want to compete based on copyright against companies
>  that hold a lot of patents. They somehow want to distinguish between the
>  value of copyright and the value of patents. And I don't think you can
>  have your IP cake and eat it too," says Schwartz.
>
> Can anyone translate for me what The Schwartz is trying to say?

"I don't understand the difference between copyright and patent, either
that or I'm deliberately trying to muddy the waters by confusing the two."

It is rather like saying that since antibiotics are good for curing
bacterial diseases, why are you complaining about the nausea and hair-loss
from chemo-therapy? They're both medicines, right?

--
Steven D'Aprano
Operations Manager