[Osia-discuss] Re: [Linux-aus] Re: Software patents: Munich has put Linux project on hold!

Steven D'Aprano steve at cyber.com.au
Fri Aug 27 10:16:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 12:43:02PM +1000, Con Zymaris wrote:

>  Software patents are not automatically evil. It makes little sense to say
>  that if you build something ingenious, non-obvious yet useful from
>  hardware then you can patent it, while exactly the same functionality in
>  software cannot be protected. Companies who use patents to make money
>  aren't evil either -- corporate organisms are amoral money-making
>  machines, and all you can ask of them is that they obey the law.

No, corporations don't do anything. *People* do things.

Remember the old saying about the Devil, that the greatest success he ever
had was convincing the world that he doesn't exist? Well the greatest
success the amoral and/or immoral people in the world ever had was to
handball the blame for their actions to some imaginary faux "legally
human" entity, the corporation.

It has given carte blanche for people to act in ways which match all the
psychiatric symptomes of sociopathy, but because it is done in the name of
a corporation, we excuse their behaviour.

It was one of the greatest con jobs (no pun intended) of all time, the
granting of legal recognition of the supposed "personhood" of
corporations. That means that a real actual person can hide behind the
corporation and avoid the consequences of his or her actions.

Worse, the publicly traded, limited liability corporation is designed to
encourage and facilitate the abuse of power for the exclusive benefit of a
privileged elite. It is an institution which, by its very nature and legal
structure, is programmed to behave like a sociopath irrespective of the
ethical beliefs of the people who make up the corporation -- including the
CEO.

See, for example, http://63.135.115.158/article.asp?ID=434 for more.

But now this is where the conversation is moving further and further
off-topic, and certainly I wouldn't wish to suggest that corporations must
always do bad. Many corporations do in fact manage to resist becoming
outrightly harmful to society.

(Sociopathy is characterised by a total amoral unconcern for the needs of
others, and is not in and of itself evil.)

In any case, at the moment we have to work with corporations, not against
them.

--
Steven D'Aprano
Operations Manager