[Linux-aus] Free Trade Agreement

Jan Schmidt jan at slug.org.au
Fri Aug 27 09:28:19 UTC 2004

Name: Jan Schmidt
Address: 17/2 Bradley Pl, Liberty Grove, NSW 2138
Phone: 0404 896 750

I can't decide whether Senator Coonan hasn't read Chapter 17 of the FTA or
if she is being disingenuous while toeing the party line. I'd like to
hear the logic behind her assertion that the FTA "won't have an effect on
Australia's approach and treatment" of software patents. (1)

Article 17.9 calls for Australia and the US to reduce "differences in law
and practice between their respective systems" (2) and requires changes to key
phrases in Australian law on patentable inventions, in particular relating
to the granting of "mischievous ... or generally inconvenient" patents. (3)

Under these changes, Australia will be open to the flood of bogus patent
applications that is currently inundating the USPTO. In the US system,
many granted software patents are invalidated when litigated. (4)

Unfortunately, Open Source developers and small software houses won't have
the funds to defend themselves when it happens here - only the large software
companies (none of them domestic) will.

Worse, Chapter 17 imports key elements of the US Digital Millennium
Copyright Act - a scattergun piece of legislation that (for example)
allowed printer manufacturer Lexmark to stop a rival company from
making toner cartridges that fit Lexmark printers. (5)

In short, the DMCA allows companies to prevent competitors (such as Open
Source software) from inter-operating with their products.

I'm disappointed that the ALP proposed amendments don't touch these issues
at all.

(1) SMH letters, 2nd August 2004
(2) http://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/negotiations/us_fta/final-text/chapter_17.html
(3) http://linux.org.au/papers/fta_comparison_table_040322.pdf