[Linux-aus] Re: [Osia-discuss] Open Source Standards Letter to major Pol Parties.

Nathan Bailey Nathan.Bailey at its.monash.edu
Fri Aug 27 09:19:02 UTC 2004

This is a timely discussion.  After Pia's success at contacting her
local politician, I decided to write to mine.  He sent out one of those
regular circulars saying "What do you think is most important?" and I
replied about the absence of knowledge industries/IT amongst the options,
and the need for supporting open source.

He replied today and said:
	* Forwarded to ICT Minister for comment
	* He worked in ICT for 30 years, and serves on (state)
	  parlimament's IT sub-committee

and finally and most importantly:
	* "If you have a more detailed policy submission available I
	  would be preapred to assist with its promotion.  You may also
	  realise that the impending Free Trade Agreement with the USA
	  will have an impact on the issues you have raised."

which leaves me thinking "Yes, I have lots of ideas, but not an
actually policy formulated."  Do we have a policy we want to advocate?
I know this is fundamentally the roots of OSV, so surely OSV at least
should be writing such a policy for the state environment, if not OSIA
nationally.  What is important in such a policy?

re,