[Linux-aus] Re: Software patents: Munich has put Linux project on hold!

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Thu Aug 12 09:37:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 01:50:14AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > further recommendations that needed implementation testing.
> > Under the FTA we lose a great deal of control over these laws,
>
> It's rather embarrassing to watch someone pontificate on IP when they
> don't have a handle on the difference between patents and copyright.

Anthony, I'm curious.

I need to better understand where you're coming from. You obviously have
in depth knowledge of the topic, but I'm finding it hard to understand
your general thrust.

Can you answer the following questions.

1) Should software patents exist? If so, why?

2) As they do exist both here and in the US, should the SME software
   industry work towards their elimination?

3) Should digital restrictions anti-cirumvention laws (like the DMCA)
   exist? If so, why?

4) As they do exist, should the SME software industry work towards their
   elimination?

--
Con Zymaris <conz at cyber.com.au> Level 4, 10 Queen St, Melbourne, Australia
Web: http://www.cyber.com.au/  Phone: 03 9621 2377   Fax: 03 9621 2477