[Linux-aus] Re: Dealing with the patent process

Kimberlee Weatherall k.weatherall at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Aug 4 10:29:02 UTC 2004

>Actually, I was under the impression that all US patents would have to go
>through the local normal patents process (and this has already started, so
>we need to get our skates on). Perhaps a lawyer could confirm this? :)

Short answer is yes, this is right.  So far as you are talking about within
Australia, patents have to pass through our examination processes here in
Australia - we don't just rubber stamp US patents.

Of course, that will only help you if you are sued in Australia.  If you
make something that is non-infringing here, it could still be prevented
from being imported into the US if a US patent has been granted.

Kim

____________________________

Kimberlee Weatherall
Associate Director and Lecturer
Intellectual Property Research Institute of Australia (http://www.ipria.org)
Law School, The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010
Ph: (61 3) 8344 1120 Fax: (61 3) 9348 2353
Email: k.weatherall at unimelb.edu.au
Web Log: http://weatherall.blogspot.com

DISCLAIMER: this email and any attachments may contain personal information
or information that is otherwise confidential or the subject of copyright.
Any use, disclosure or copying of any part of it is prohibited. The
University does not warrant that this email or any attachments are free
from viruses or defects. Please check any attachments for viruses and
defects before opening them. If this email is received in error please
delete it and notify us by return email.  Please note also that the
University does not necessarily share or endorse the views expressed in
this email.