[Linux-aus] FTA update

pia at linux.org.au pia at linux.org.au
Wed Aug 4 09:31:02 UTC 2004

I blogged about this, but basically a decision has been made:

http://pipka.org/blog/

Gar!

I want to be very clear about something, and I'll be blogging this tonight.
We now more than ever in the open source world need to be developing cool
stuff, supporting developers, promoting our efforts, educating about FOSS
and generally excercising the freedoms we have always enjoyed. The new
legislation does technically lock us into some sticky issues, but the second
a real threat is created, there will be public gnashing of teeth, and many
bodies will be behind anyone targeted. By open source projects kicking on
more than ever and getting heaps of publicity, it won't be an easy thing to
target quietly. The law is so often dictated by public trends (as should be
the case, it shouldn't be a stagnant thing), and as an example we didn't see
massive arrests over people recording to tape or vcr in the past. There is
no reason why DVD shouldn't be 'the new VCR' and why we shouldn't be able to
expect the same freedoms of access and control.

Anyway, we can come up with some plans to deal with this stuff, but above
all we all need to maintain our way of life, and rock on even harder!

Cheers, and ROCK ON AUSTRALIA!
Pia

Pia Smith
President of Linux Australia