[Linux-aus] Re: Hooks to the AU patent process

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Fri Aug 6 12:12:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 14:01, pia at linux.org.au wrote:
> Arjen Lentz writes:
> >> Another thought in the same "playing them at their own game" theme:
> >> why not file for patents protecting open source software?  I don't
> >> think that the author of a patent application has to be the owner of
> We will never be able to accumulate enough patents to be truly safe, we
> don't have the money or the resources, and some of these companies have

True, but IMHO every little bit helps. It's not practical as a total
solution to the problem but if we attack it from lots of different
angles maybe collectively we can make a difference.

So I've drafted up a few provisional patent applications related to some
of the Open Source work I've done, and I'll submit them to IP Australia
through my company. They only cost about $80 each to submit, and they
may play some small part in throwing a spanner in the works of an Evil
Bigco at some point.

Cheers :-)

Jonathan Oxer