[Linux-aus] Petition against the FTA

Stewart Smith stewart at flamingspork.com
Wed Apr 14 19:18:32 UTC 2004

Steven DAprano said:
> There is a petition against the Australian/USA free trade agreement:
>
> http://www.petitiononline.com/auftaip/petition.html

Yeap, we started it :)

Also, please pass the message around, the more signatures the better!

> Before you rush out to sign it, however, I'd like to suggest that
> on-line petitions have all the impact of a damp piece of paper against
> battleship. Politicians don't pay much attention to them, because they
> are so easy to fill with fake names and require no real care or
> commitment on the part of the people signing them.

Although with such an online community, it's a lot easier to get an online
petition going than getting paper out to everyone. There will be future
petitions on specific changes to laws, and we may have to do them on paper
so they carry extra weight in parliament.
> If you really want to make an impact, then pick up a piece of paper,
> write a letter, and post it to your MP. Yes, I know dead tree by snail
> mail is oh so 20th century, but MPs are old-fashioned people.

Not all are, but a physical letter is certainly a sign of committement.

http://www.linux.org.au/fta/

for a "HOWTO help"

--
Stewart Smith (stewart at flamingspork.com)