[Linux-aus] ABC restricts open source option

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Wed Apr 14 06:45:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 07:12:02AM +1000, Michael Still wrote:
> Jeff Waugh wrote:
>
> >Don't like the sound of this, particularly in the content management
> >market,
> >and knowing of various FOSS-friendly Australian researchers working in the
> >multimedia space.
> >
> >  http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,9231945%5E15316%5E%5Enbv%5E15306,00.html
> >
> >Which tentacle do we unleash to deal with this kind of behaviour (in govt
> >or
> >business), and how?
>
> Ring the Minister for Communications, and express concern that your tax
> payer money is not being spent effectively if a government agency
> refuses to consider all options.

tread cautiously here. Daryl Williams doesn't care enough (he's on the way
out)  and direct contact with the minister is more than likely to have
negative impact, not positive.

The best way forward is to approach the procurement people within the ABC
to try and determine why they felt a need to (initially at least) adopt a
policy which precludes FOSS solutions. There may be prosaic reasons why
they have done so: they don't understand how to procure it, they're
worried about indemnification, they don't have selection criteria and
matrices to help them make a decision on products from within the the FOSS
space etc.

Taking a 'how can our side of the industry help you?' attitude is perhaps
more useful, long term, than a 'we'll tell on your superiors and have
them beat you up' attitude.

Con Zymaris <conz at cyber.com.au> Level 4, 10 Queen St, Melbourne, Australia
Web: http://www.cyber.com.au/  Phone: 03 9621 2377   Fax: 03 9621 2477