[Linux-aus] Study on Copyright Term Extensions

Jon maddog Hall maddog at li.org
Fri Sep 26 21:27:02 UTC 2003

Every time I read about copyright extensions like "Life plus seventy years",
I wonder what Walt Disney would have done if the Brothers Grimm, or Hans
Christian Anderson had done the same?  Or where he would have gotten his
music for his cartoons if some of the great classical composers had copyrighted
their music for a couple of lifetimes?

Once Disney was large and successful they probably could have paid
large royalty prices for such music as "Flight of the Bumblebee" or
some of Beethoven's symphonies, but when he was just starting out with
M. Mouse in a small shop, he sure took advantage of the fact that the music
was in the public domain.

I was probably twelve before I realized that I knew a lot more classical
music than I ever thought, even though I first heard it on the Mickey Mouse
Club.

Oh, by the way, trivia test:

        The theme to the original Mickey Mouse Club....original to W. Disney?

md
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux(R) International

Board Member: Uniforum Association, USENIX Association

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several countries.
UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the US and other countries.