[Linux-aus] [Fwd: Microsoft "Shared Source" Seminar details]

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Mon Sep 22 11:01:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 10:23, Stewart Smith wrote:
> i'll be skipping an (incredibly boring) lecture to catch this talk,
> although is only for people at monash, I'd be welcome to raise any
> questions or points anybody here has.

Ask Jason why Microsoft ships SFU if GPLed software causes problems.
That one question if no others.

Ask him how much (lines or packages) of Microsoft's software is owned by
The SCO Group. Then follow through by asking what plans Microsoft have
in place for dealing with The SCO Group should they become greedy and
demand more money from Microsoft, seeing that D'ohl has been silent on
that question when asked.

Ask him how much an open development process would have helped Microsoft
to avoid the Timeline fiasco.

Mention that several Open Source groups are building projects which can
feature DRM-style security, but without the central server millstone
around their necks. Ask him if Microsoft is planning on participating
in any such projects to keep a toehold on the technology.

If you want to get screamed at, finish by asking him if Microsoft will
release a Linux version of MS-Office to compete with OpenOffice.org
while there's still some point in doing so. (-:

Cheers; Leom

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia