[Linux-aus] Constitution Fun

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Thu Sep 18 09:39:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 10:54:04PM +1000, Pia Smith wrote:
> We discussed keeping a record of mailing addresses and decided against
> it, as they are hard to keep up to date, and for the most part
> irrelevant, seeing we are an online community. I am yet to be convinced
> :)

"We discussed having access to source code and decided against it, as
it's hard to use, and for the most part irrelevent, seeing none of us
are programmers. I am yet to be convinced."

It's usually better to have information; if you don't end up needing it,
no harm done, if you do, yay.

As far as keeping the records up to date, limiting membership to people
who fill out online forms (like the one you have to fill out to register
for l.c.a) can ensure that (a) the LA executive doesn't have to do the
typing and (b) that the address is updated on renewal and correct in
the first place.

Mailing addresses seem like a better basis for supporting claims we
have x00 members, rather than relying on email addresses too. While
membership's essentially limited to l.c.a attendance, that's not a big
deal, but presumably that'll change. Mailing addresses are probably also
useful for working out where LA members are and doing various statistics
on that: which areas LA's not reaching well, anywhere that has a high
concentration of LA members but doesn't have a LUG, that sort of thing.

And hey, you could sell the mailing addresses and make some money!
Brilliant!

Cheers,
aj

Australian DMCA (the Digital Agenda Amendments) Under Review!
	-- http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/copyright/digitalagenda