[osv-list] Re: [Linux-aus] Windows: 30 billion crashes a year ?

Steven D'Aprano steve at cyber.com.au
Wed Sep 17 08:20:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 10:34:23PM +1000, Chris Samuel wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 Sep 2003 2:02 pm, Shane Stephens wrote:
>
> > So 5% of machines crash twice daily.  How many machines crash every
> > day?  Dunno.  How many machines crash at least once a month?  Dunno.
> > What is the average number of crashes per machine per month?  Dunno.
>
> Remember that these figures are (allegedly) derived from peoples XP systems
> phoning home to MS to say they've died.
>
> Steven D'Aprano from CyberSource on the OSV list did a bit more maths, which
> I'lll ask him for permission to quote here.

Go right ahead.

If anyone wants more detail, let me know and I will send it.

But frankly, I don't especially think the figures mean very much, without
some indication of how good Bill Gates' figure of 5% is and how it was
derived. Garbage in, garbage out works for maths as well as computer
programs you know :-)

The numbers sound reasonable, and I guess "reasonable" is as best we can
hope for in this sort of thing.

--
Steven D'Aprano
Operations Manager