[Linux-aus] Fwd FYI: Kate Lundy spech

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Sun Sep 14 13:38:01 UTC 2003

Attached message arrived HTML formatted, if you need it as text (or
MailMan eats the attachment) just ask.

Some nice phraseology, "the old information empires" just reeks of
"legacyness". (-:

"there are a number of challenges which stand in the way of open source.
These are chiefly owing to the fact the market incumbents - proprietary
software vendors - have built whole business strategies around client
lock-in."

Nevertheless, it also seems to contain a few landmines for your sober
consideration: "It [ie, OSS] defies the traditional method of
distributing software through a system of proprietary licenses, and
instead says "I know I can't stop you from redistributing me, so I'm
not going to insult you by demanding that you don't."

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia