[Linux-aus] Boycott HP

Pia Smith greebo at pacific.net.au
Thu Sep 4 21:31:01 UTC 2003

> On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Gary Allpike wrote:
> > In my small, deranged mind, this equates not only to exploitation of
> > third world countries,

I don't think running part of your business from India, or China, or
(pick a country) is a bad thing. The company doesn't spend as much money
true, but they actually help out the country but pooling money into it.
They are not perhaps paying the same amount in wages, but the living
isn't as high either. HP (a non-Australian company anyway) was maybe
taking advantage of cheaper Australian rates in the first instance?

>  but something that should have the average
> > Australian questioning if they want to do business with a company that
> > is flat out trying to toss their local employees onto the unemployment
> > scrapheap.

It is certainly sad for Aus jobs, I think if we tried to boycott every
major company who does unfair things to make/save money we would not be
able to do much else.

On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 17:19, Bret Busby wrote:
> Isn't that a bit like the Linux community in Australia, shooting itself
> in the foot, by using the resources of Linux Australia, to denigrate
> companies that are actively supporting and promoting Linux?

I'm afraid I agree to a point. We have a thousand battles at the moment
just trying to get a respectable name. Making the line fuzzy won't help.
I think too often we all get caught up on the smaller battles without
remembering the bigger picture.

Pia
--
Pia Smith <greebo at pacific.net.au>