[Linux-aus] [link] PCLinuxOnline - IDC and the TCO myth

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Mon Nov 24 08:32:04 UTC 2003

Next time someone faces you with a "TCO" argument...

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=8045

    I was browsing Yahoo news when I came across this little gem. It
    appears that IDC is not willing to evaluate Apple -vs- windows
    when it involves TCO.

        IDC analyst Roger Kay, "because there's no standard method
        for determining total cost of ownership, I could come up
        with numbers based on task and environment that might slant
        in either direction." The Mac vs. PC conundrum probably will
        not be settled by an authoritative analyst study any time
        soon, Kay noted. "The question of who's cheaper? I don't
        know," he said. "It's business that we won't take."

    What a difference a year makes, or perhaps a bit of selective memory
    because IDC had absolutely no problem taking cash from microsoft to
    compare windows to Linux.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA