[Linux-aus] Ninth Edition -LinMagAu

Kimberly Shelt kim at linmagau.org
Sun Nov 2 08:58:01 UTC 2003

Hello all,

Our ninth edition .. :)

This month lots of new things..

We launch a National Mail List Archive,
searchable via specific group or over the entire country!

A "Global News" section.
A departure from strictly "local people - local content"
giving (Ozzie s)a taste of the other flavours across the world..

Media Center - starting to catalogue all the other groups,
LinMagAu does a little "unofficial" PR for :)

Again there may be some errors.. building the search engine and list archive
took a lot of time... Send a "fixit" report if you see any problems :)

So the issue in full..

Software and Apps
 Debian Package Caching: Updating Multiple Machines
 Distro Day Revisited - Gentoo wins ?
 Libranet - 2.7 Classic EditionDistro Review
 Running Java Apps Reliably under Linux
 Multibooting 101
 Guide: rsync, ssh & cron (as backup tools)

Other Features
 Interview - Jon (maddog) Hall -Linux and (FOSS)
 Open Source in Israel
 Linux on a Psion
 Book Review - Building Internet Firewalls
 Intervew - Patrick Yee - R&D Team Leader ebXML
 EVACS - Electronic voting and counting system

Tips and Tricks
 Hard linked files
 Colourful prompt
 The Gimp - autocrop/Shortcuts
 Partitions for a single-user
 Gentoo -gcc

Community
 Darlug Installfest a "success" (NT)
 LUG focus - GLUG(NSW)
 No more AOL CDs
 LinuxChix in Brazil
 Cyberlodge - Labour movement to OpenSource(OS)

(New Sections)
 National Mail List Archive
 Global News
 Media Center

Conferences & Events
 Open Source in Government Conference - OGC
 Global Education Initiative Open Office
 International PHP Meetup Day
 Linux-Bangalore/2003
 Computing and Philosophy Conference(ACT)
 Telecommunications Consumer Consultation

Ideation and Fun
 Two Mice in XFree86 3.3.x
 MS Office 2003 vs Open Source
 FUN - The rain in Spam ?
 Random Gatherings
 To spam or not to spam
 Caveat emptor!
 AmiZilla
 Novell & Linux ?
 A different approach - SPAM

Updates
 Where in the world is Onno (now)
 Connecting the Future '03
 LinMagAu
 LCA2004 -FIXIT
 Rekonstruction
 Linux Australia

We hope you are continuing to enjoy the mag.. and look forward to more of you coming
forwarded and writing for us.. or even sending us links or hints on who we can chase up :)

Next months issue might well come from somewhere a little further inland.. :)

Kimberly Shelt
--
http://www.linmagau.org
http://lca2004.linux.org.au/ocgconf/