[Linux-aus] Suggestion for the 'lugs' list

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Thu May 29 14:17:02 UTC 2003

Hi all,

With the renewed level of interesting conversation on linux-aus, and its
status as a gathering area for everyone interested in Linux Australia, the
new 'lug' list has not been in use. I think the LUGs are a crucial part of
Linux Australia's constituency and community responsibility, so we should
try and make the most of this list...

I'd like to suggest that the 'lug' list be turned into a private forum for
the LA committee and LUG committees around the country, to provide:

  - A simple place for the LA ctte to get in touch with LUGs, to organise
    country-wide initiatives, sound out sensitive issues, etc.

  - Representation and feedback from the LUGs to the LA ctte, to make sure
    that LA continues to represent the entire country.

  - A place to discuss inter-LUG cooperation, events, experiences, etc.

Of course, much of LA's communication should be directly to linux-aus,
available to the entire community. A private 'lug' list should not cause the
LA ctte to be less transparent. Hopefully it will enhance communication
between LA and the LUGs, and between the LUGs themselves, which will have
flow-on effects for the entire community.

I think the most important point raised here is representation, and the
ability for LUG cttes to approach the LA ctte in an accountable but private
forum.

Thanks,

- Jeff

--
GU4DEC: June 16th-18th in Dublin, Ireland             http://www.guadec.org/

   "I love 2001. Especially the beginning with the proto-humans screaming
    at each other and beating each other to death with rocks and bones.
      That very neatly encapsulates my whole concept of interpersonal
                     relationships." - Branden Robinson