[Linux-aus] SCO position - Pia's thread

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Mon May 26 18:32:02 UTC 2003

> > Maybe a statement quoting some comments made by some of our people,
> > and then supporting them and extrapolating slightly is better
>
> Certainly! Care to make a quotable statement? (-:
>
> Actually, one sound-ish bite each from you, Jeremy and Grog (Presidents
> all) would be a good foundation for a release.

I am going to write something proper about all this, although I'm trying
to write a submission on ACCC's Internet interconnection enquiry at the
same time, hence my apparent slackness.  You could use this as a soundbite
I guess, or edit it to suit:

"Vice Chairman of the Society of Linux Professionals (WA), Jeremy Malcolm,
states, 'Much like British Telecom's recent failed patent enforcement
claim in which it sought royalties for the use of hyperlinks on the Web,
SCO's lawsuit against IBM is an opportunistic attempt to cash in on the
burgeoning success of an operating system that has proved more popular,
better-supported and more innovative than SCO's own.  In a disingenuous
and hypocritical claim built upon a succession of documented factual
errors, SCO has risen to the forefront of those companies willing to
employ fear, uncertainty and doubt as their primary weapons in the
competitive race.  It is only to be hoped that SCO's legal argument will
be demolished like the house of cards that it is before too many
corporate users of Linux are unnecessarily driven to adopt inferior
operating systems.'"

--
JEREMY MALCOLM <Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au> Personal: http://www.malcolm.id.au
Providing online networks of Australian lawyers (http://www.ilaw.com.au)