[Talk] Re: [Linux-aus] SCO position, rationale and AUUG

Andrew Rutherford andrewr at iagu.net
Sat May 24 07:12:01 UTC 2003

At 6:05 PM +0930 22/5/03, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

>  > Bear in mind that one of the reasons that (I was told) Sun went
>>  System V for Solaris was because of the fact that the SunOS BSD
>>  kernel didn't MP anywhere near as well as System V
>
>So they say, at least nowadays.  I find that hard to believe, given
>that at the time (System V.3(.0)) it didn't have *any* support for
>SMP.  That didn't come until the early 1990s.

At the time (I still have some old Sun press releases for amusements
sake, plus some email conversations with Sun employees at the time),
Sun were trying to get more of a focus and business and less in
education/engineering, and believed that SysV had a much greater
following in the business world (were they thinking about SCO? That
would be a great irony!), and having a system based on code generally
thought to be made by "tinkerers" rather than "software
professionals" would be a hindrance in their push into the high-end
business market.

>  >>> We also note that Microsoft have dropped support for some of their
>  >>> software on SCO UNIX, but support those programs on Linux.

Given the aforementioned tiff between Microsoft and SCO, with SCO
removing their Xenix code which was there to support Microsoft, is it
any wonder that Microsoft dropped support? Even if just to prove a
point - "they removed support for our code, so we're not coding for
their platform any more."

--
Andrew Rutherford      sip:andrewr at iagu.net      244 Pirie Street
Iagu Networks          tel:+61-8-8425-2255       Adelaide SA 5000