[Linux-aus] Re: [Talk] SCO position, rationale and AUUG

Adam Donnison adam at saki.com.au
Fri May 23 12:51:02 UTC 2003

I too have been watching from afar (as it were).  I'm wondering who
the audience of any statement would be?  If it were to go to the
general public then it might be worth condensing the comments from
Eric Raymonds paper which essentially would boil down to a press
release something like:

SCO resorts to dirty tricks to lessen Linux

SCO, in what they are hoping will be characterised as a David and
Goliath contest, have started procedings against software giant
IBM in an attempt to gain lost ground to the now well entrenched
Linux operating system.

In what can only be characterised as a farago of mistruths,
misdirections and outright fabrications, SCO is attempting to
claim that IBM, by its multi-billion dollar investment
in the free operating system Linux has infringed SCO's IP rights.

(short description of what Linux is, what the stakes are, what
the actual claim is).

The idea is to try and point out that SCO has alterior motives,
and is not the lilly-white injured party it tries to portray.
It has to be done in short sentences, and without too much
detail, in order to get it into the space requirements of most
publications, and also to get people to read it.  By all means
go on and explain the differences, but if it runs to more than
400 lines, forget it.

Just my 2c worth.

Adam