[Linux-aus] SCO position, rationale and AUUG

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Thu May 22 16:00:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 22 May 2003 15:34, Chris Samuel wrote:
> * Sorry about the rampant cross-post

Necessary, for a few days, methinks.

>>> We also note that Microsoft have dropped support for some of
>>> their software on SCO UNIX, but support those programs on Linux.

>> The point?  That even Microsoft doesn't believe in SCO's viability?

> Warning - SCO Unix is irrelevant at this point, Unixware is the
> issue.  It needs clarification about whether MS dropped support for
> SCO Unix, Unixware or both.

http://www.rtr.com/fpsupport/fp2000license.htm says "SCO OpenServer
Release 5" on one entry and "SCO UnixWare 7" on another. The FP2002
pages don't even mention them.

IMESHO it doesn't matter exactly which family they're from - although it
would help if there were direct overlap - the key issue is that
Microsoft reeled in their support for SCO products.

Detailed clarification is probably overload for a press release unless
it's critical to understanding a central issue.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia