[Talk] Re: [Linux-aus] SCO position, rationale and AUUG

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Thu May 22 13:12:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 14:39, Chris Maltby wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 02:05:03PM +1000, Con Zymaris wrote:
> > This is not certain. Various parties within SCO have touted the
> > 'stolen source code' line, but the core of the suit seems to
> > be about the more nebulous 'misappropriation of trade secrets'.

Sure, but my point was primarily that the document should be reasonably
self-explanatory to a PHB who doesn't know the background, but sees some
headline that "SCO is suing Linux" and comes running to the IT
department to make sure they "get rid of all that Linux software that
was pirated from SCO".

The IT dude should be able to point to the document, which the PHB then
reads, breathes a sigh of relief that the allegations are a load of
hogwash and he's not in any danger, and goes on about his business.

> I suppose we'll have fun watching it play out in the courts
> and possibly create FUD in the minds of would-be corporate
> adopters of Linux...

Problem is it's exactly that FUD that needs to be defused in the minds
of the PHBs.

Cheers

Jonathan