[Linux-aus] Re: Statement on SCO

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Wed May 21 20:04:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 04:36:18PM +0930, David Lloyd wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> > Immediately upon initial reading: I'd strongly recommend canning all
> > of the MS related stuff. It doesn't help or relate to your point, and
> > is all conjecture and conspiracy theories at the moment anyway.
>
> I'd also point out:
>
>  What is wrong with Microsoft purchasing a Unix licence from SCO?

because their actions are a clear-and-present act of belligerence.

Remember, Microsoft have been purloining Unix/BSD code for years. Their
current Unix Services product includes copious quantities of GPL code. Do
you hear them sending out press-releases globally to alert the world to
this fact? Not a chance.

Although I'd agree with Jeff and possibly excise any comments on Microsoft,
if Leon wants to include something, we need to ensure that people
understand that Microsoft's actions in no way validate SCO's position. The
only reason that Microsoft has elected to act in this way, at this
juncture, as should be obvious to all observers, is to seek maximal damage
to Linux, and try and fan Microsoft's claim that Linux is somehow 'illegal'
or a 'cancerous infliction' on righteous and proper firms like SCO.

This is why Microsoft has been claiming '...unlike some, we respect the
intellectual property rights of others.' Oh really?

Read this: http://www.vcnet.com/bms/departments/innovation.shtml

and this:

Timeline has won a recent ruling which exposes all Microsoft SQL Server
developers to a serious patent encumbrance. The following was reported in
the trade-press:

 The judgment concerns a contract dispute between Timeline Inc. and
 Microsoft, over three patents relating to datamarts. In Microsoft's
 interpretration of its licence with Timeline, published in a press release
 in July 1999, "all users of Microsoft SQL Server 7, Office 2000 and other
 Microsoft products that utilize this type of technology are unencumbered
 by Timeline's patents."

 Timeline disagreed. The Washington Court of Appeal judgement plumped for
 the company. The company reckons that some SQL Server developers could
 face bills in the millions of dollars. The "damages they face may be
 material to Timeline's future financial results," Charles Osenbaugh,
 Timeline's president and CEO.

 (Sources: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/53/29419.html and
 http://news.com.com/2100-1001- 985359.html)

con