[Linux-aus] thanks from 30,000 feet

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Tue May 20 09:28:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, 18 May 2003 20:02, Stewart Smith wrote:
> Many positive things have come out of our meeting

Agree.

> Special thanks to Pia&Jeff for putting myself and Leon up for our
> stay in Sydney,

Agree.

> Andrew Cowie for some really good preparation and
> presentation of process (I really can't think of a good way to word
> it, but it really helped and you'll hear the outcomes)

Very much agree. It should be said that Andrew didn't get everything he
wanted, so any bias he put into the construction of "the process" seems
to have been submerged.

Thanks are also due to Pia's workplace for the venue.

Off-topic, but worth saying: The seats on VirginBlue 'planes suck, but
the hosties are excellent. Talking to a newbie (3 weeks on the job)
hostie, their last induction was 2000 people, of which only 30 were
chosen (4 of them male) to go through training. VirginBlue would be
delighted to get more male hosties, BTW, so if you're looking for a
*different* kind of job... (-:

Back on topic (ish): one of the hosties on the way across knew about
Linux - I was wearing an LA tee-shirt - her previous boyfriend had been
a Linux consultant (I have no idea who he was, she's a very pretty slim
tallish blonde with a Nordic look and name).

The internet kiosks in Perth airport have been switched from Windows to
Linux (or at least X) but the ones at Sydney airport have not, and
neither have those at the Northern Territory terrorism office/shop at
Darling Harbour. Rip into 'em, SLUG members! (-:

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia