[Linux-aus] Follow Up on NOIE thread from a few weeks back....

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com.au
Fri May 16 15:11:02 UTC 2003

[This is *not* a M$ bashing story]

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 13:06, Brent Wallis wrote:
> The Microsoft documents also show a sophisticated and
> complex lobbying program aimed at getting governments
> on their side.

In related news, those of you who watch Google News will have seen a
link to this story:

http://www.internetwk.com/breakingNews/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=10000073

Its a bit to the effect that, in the case of *large* government and
educational contracts, Microsoft may be ready to offer their software
for free when the competition is "low-cost or zero-cost".

This isn't likely to become their mass market approach any time soon
(certainly not in the commercial sector!) but I thought it was
interesting that Microsoft is responding to the one striking argument
that Free and Open Source alternatives offer - the free part.

I only bring this up in the context of continuing points raised by Jeff
Waugh and others: we have to compete on the quality of our actions
[products], not our rhetoric. So to all the developers out there, keep
up the good work.

Of course, this could be nothing more than a trial balloon, or a trial
toilet.

AfC

[What on earth were they thinking: Portable Internet Enabled Toilets? Is
that so like you can log on while, er, laying a log? If you don't know
what I'm talking about, see

http://www.web-user.co.uk/news/article/?afw_source_key=%7b5BF50883-41F4-4CF3-9F76-83A761DBF3CC%7d

Brings a new meaning to clogging up the network.

iLoo. Now THAT's a product that has Open Source potential :) I can see
it now: http://linux.conf.loo ]

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie
Operational Dynamics Consulting Pty Ltd

Australia +61 2 9977 6866  North America +1 646 270 5376

andrew at operationaldynamics.com.au