[Linux-aus] OpenSource in SA Government Bill

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Fri May 2 09:27:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 06:44:37PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
> As this is of general interest (more general than education), it's probably
> more appropriate on the linux-aus mailing list.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Jeff
>
> <quote who="Ian Loxton">
>
> > This notice has just appeared in the Linux SA mailing list.
> > _____________________________
> >  I'm told that the Hon. Ian Gilfillan MLC (Democrat
> >  spokesperson for Science and the Information Economy) is
> >  introducing a Bill to support Open Source Software today.
> >
> >  In a nutshell, the Bill (if successful) will require:
> >
> >  >   17A. (1) A public authority must, in making a decision about
> >  >   the procurement of computer software for its operations,
> >  >   have regard to the principle that, wherever practicable, a
> >  >   public authority should use open source software in
> >  >   preference to proprietary software.

Much as I'd like to see free software in widest possible deployment, I
don't believe this approach is the most effective. There's too much that
can easily be attacked as partisan, which will cause many politicians who
would otherwise have supported such law, to back off. It's also too easy
for well leveraged vested interest groups to (appear) justifiably
antagonistic towards.

I would posit that the most effective case to be made in this country
(other countries will need different tactics) is to push for the
following:

1) All government bodies should only use technologies for which file
   formats and network communication protocols are open and documented.

2) Preference should be given to technologies for which there are
   multiple vendors, helping better position future government purchasing
   tactically and avoiding vendor lock-in and price gouging.

3) Preference should be given to technologies for which there is is a case
   to be made that local industry can benefit, and that import
   replacements can be reduced, helping improve our balance of trade
   imbalance.

Simply by implementing such a rule-set in state and federal purchasing
policy, we will see FOSS acquisition skyrocket.

Note, FOSS was not even mentioned.

con