[Linux-aus] non-subscriber post policy (was: Minutes)

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Sat Mar 22 19:22:01 UTC 2003

On Friday 21 March 2003 08:01 pm, Daniel Stone chiselled:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 11:52:37PM +0800, Bret Busby scrawled:
>> On 21 Mar 2003, Pia Smith wrote:
>>> 6. Mailing lists
>>> 	Moderation of non-subscriber posts was discussed and generally
>>> 	approved to cut down the spam on the lists. The committee agreed
>>> 	that closing the list was not the best solution.

>> Does that mean that posts from non-subscribers will now be checked for
>> being appropriate for the list, before being distributed by the list?

> That's what she said.

True, but IIRC some technical considerations plus the limited number of Anands
available may defer the actual implementation for some considerable time.
Moves are afoot to make list management on digital.linux.org.au more
granular, but until that transpires please just sit tight and wait. In
addition to that, anti-spam measures for all LA lists will shortly be
tightened down.

Meanwhile, the unruly elements on this list are hereby formally advised that
complaining about that is completely out of order as the committee is now
dealing with it as resources permit, and that flaming any such complaints
on-list will only exacerbate the problem.

While we're on this topic, bringing off-list flamage back onto the list should
be a hanging offense: the appropriate pre-granularisation jurisdiction is our
volunteer list-master.

Meanwhile, if you don't like spam: it's a free world, and in that context I
most firmly direct you to appropriate Open Source tools such as SpamAssassin
which you are most welcome and able to use on your own box at no charge.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia