[Linux-aus] Spam Happens

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Wed Mar 12 14:18:02 UTC 2003

Daniel Stone <daniel at raging.dropbear.id.au> wrote:

You're also saying that "the people want" the list to be closed. The
only people who have stood up to say "we want this" are yourself and
David Lloyd (who is making a far more eloquent case), and more people
have stood up against it.
<<

Personally, I have a mild preference for requiring would-be posters to
subscribe to the list, if for no other reason that it's a step of "joining
the community". The fact that it's a barrier to spammers helps a lot,
though.

Please note that not everyone has the option of installing spamassassin,
etc. They may not operate their own MTA (e.g. Linux advocates in Windows
shops), or their MTA might not cooperate with anti-spam tools, etc. That
pretty much leaves them with the delete key - but by then, the sour taste
has arrived.

(Sorry for contributing to the volume, which is now way above and beyond
the original spam).

Best,

--- Les Bell, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]