[Linux-aus] Spam Happens

Daniel Stone daniel at raging.dropbear.id.au
Wed Mar 12 13:51:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 12:29:40PM +0800, Bret Busby scrawled:
> Due to the lack of response about this, from the committee or the
> president, it appears that the committee and therefore the organisation,
> endorses the use of the list for spamming.

You haven't said anything on teenage pregnancy, ergo you must be for it.

The statement that was made, IIRC, was that they wanted people to be
able to post questions, et al, to the list without needing to be on it,
which is definitely a fair position to take.

> We have already seen response from the committee (note the citing of
> committee membership in the person's signature, hence the inference that
> what the person said, was on behalf of the committee), indicating
> disregard for the concerns of subscribers, about the use of the list
> for spamming, and, disregard for the concerns of subscribers, regarding
> the allowance of posting to the list by non-subscribers.

I'm a subscriber who endorses posting by non-members, and there are also
other subscribers who endorse this. As to the committee tag, I often tag
myself as a LUV committee member when replying to LUV stuff that
involves the committee, and add that it's only my personal view, not
that of the entire committee, if I'm not sure of the other members'
positions. I think it's quite a fair thing to do.

> It appears that the official stance is, "Who cares? You are not a
> committee member, so your opinions do not matter.".

No, it's more a case of the pros outweighing the cons. Effective
software to stop spam is available.

Spam is here. It's going to get to you one way or another. I abhor it,
but nothing's really going to stop it.

Speaking for myself,
Daniel