[Linux-aus] Minutes - February 19th 2003

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Mar 6 09:54:01 UTC 2003

On 6 Mar 2003, Pia Smith wrote:

> Date: 06 Mar 2003 11:47:56 +1100
> From: Pia Smith <pia at linux.org.au>
> Subject: [Linux-aus] Minutes - February 19th 2003
>
> http://linux.org.au/minutes - To be posted soon!
>
> LINUX AUSTRALIA
> COMMITTEE MEETING - MINUTES
> 1500 hrs
>
> HELD: Via Teleconference with supporting IRC channel
> PRESENT:
> Stewart Smith Vice President
> Anand Kumria Treasurer
> Andrew Cowie Secretary
> Andrew Tridgell
> REGRETS: Pia Smith President
> Hugh Blemings
> Leon Brooks

Ah, we all have regrets. Shouldn't that be "Apologies", if the meetings
are to be shown to be properly and formally held and minuted?

> CALL
> Order
>
> The meeting was called to order at 1517 hrs. All though last minute
> events prevented Pia, Hugh and Leon from attending, with Quorum present
> the meeting proceeded so that certain administrative matters could be
> attended to.
>
> Agenda
> The agenda for the meeting was approved as follows:
> Previous Minutes
> Actions arising from Minutes
> Other Business
> Future Meetings
>
> Chair
> Stewart Smith as Vice-President, chaired the meeting.
>
> Notice
> The meeting date was as agreed at the previous meeting and confirmed by
> email to the committee mailing list.
>
> Prior meeting minutes
> Andrew briefly discussed the process whereby minutes are created and
> approved. He indicated that the minutes can be simply accepted by a
> meeting, or accepted with amendments. If significant changes are
> required, the secretary can be directed to draw up a new set and will
> present them at the following meeting.
> Minutes for meetings of 24 Jan 03 and 5 Feb 03 were presented for
> approval. Anand Kumria and Pia Smith submitted (via email) minor
> amendments which were discussed.
>
> MOTION It was moved by Andrew Cowie and seconded by Anand Kumria that
> the minutes of 24 Jan 03 be accepted and that the minutes of the 5 Feb
> 03 meeting be accepted as amended. CARRIED.

Amendments to Minutes are generally explicitly included in the Minutes
of the next meeting, so that people reading the Minutes of both
meetings, can know what are the amended Minutes of the first meeting.

We do not know what are the Minutes of the previous meeting, as those
Minutes have been amended, and the above does not indicate what were the
amendments.

> ACTIONS ARISING FROM MINUTES

<snip>

What is the status of the organisation, regarding its incororation,
when the organisation is a countrywide organisation, but is incorporated
in only one particular state of the federation of Australia?

Is incorporation at a federal level, available, and achievable? By that,
I do not refer to becoming incorporated in each state (however, if there
is no other option for incorporation across the country, that may be
worth considering); I refer to a single incorporation at the federal
level; involving some federal government department.

It appears that incorporation of such an organisation is impotent
outside the state of incorporation, where a countrywide organisation is
incorporated in a single state and not across the country, due to the
laws of each state, not generally being applicable and binding in each
other state. That is not a qualified legal opinion; it is only my
layman's perception, but I believe that it is something that is worthy
of clarification.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale