[Linux-aus] Large FOSS rollouts in UK, Ireland, Italy?

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Fri Jun 27 06:43:13 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 21:27, Leon Brooks wrote:
> The pollie backing the SA Open Source bill is looking for large
> Free/Open Source Software rollouts (ideally whole systems, usually
> implying Linux, but OpenOffice.org or the like helps too) to visit when
> he tours the UK, Ireland and Italy in two weeks.
>
> Now is your chance to nominate your favourite FOSS rollout. Any ideas?

Sounds like an opportunity for someone to publish a list on the web,
since this sort of thing comes up from time to time and it would be
useful to have a semi-official location to point people to. What I
envisage is a list of large-scale rollouts and significant companies
using Linux, possibly with more detailed case studies for some.

Is there anything like that online already?

Perhaps the most appropriate place would be on the LA site somewhere.

I don't have access to the server to do updates obviously, but I'd be
happy to create a page and send it to whoever does have access.

I know it's not in the geographic area you mentioned, but there was
mention a few days ago on Debian Weekly News of an 80,000 seat rollout
of a Debian-derivative (can't remember the name off-hand) in Spain.

Cheers

Jonathan