[Linux-aus] Extent of sco's complaint - birthday paradox

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Fri Jun 6 10:12:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 09:30, Andrae Muys wrote:
> We found no fault with the
> lecturer as when he showed us our assignments they were for all
> intensive purposes identical, including in many cases variable
> names[1].    The issue was cleared up as we were both able to explain
> the thinking behind the code, and it was obvious neither of us needed
> to cheat.  However I have never forgotten the way identical forces,
> and similar training/background can sometimes lead to strikingly
> similar solutions.

Spot on. Although the phrase is usually "intents and purposes" (-: of
course, the assignments themselves may have been a bit intense... :-)

When my first wife shot through, she took with her a "chester draws",
but that was far from being the biggest piece of corrupted data
floating around in her brain. Don't get me started on apostrophes. (-:

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA
http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia