[Linux-aus] Greens battle Microsoft

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Thu Jul 31 19:52:02 UTC 2003

<quote who="Brent Wallis">

> > Describing Microsoft founder Bill Gates as "a bit of a robber baron",
> > NSW Greens MLC Lee Rhiannon warned the legislation would anger US trade
> > lobby groups.
>
> Last time the "MS are evil dogs" comment was raised on this list, howls of
> protest ensued, and rightly so. Is this sort of comment something FOSS
> (majority thereof) want to be party too?

Hear, hear.

> IMHO if this gets through, we lose and if it doesn't we lose as well.  I
> form this opinion because the idea will create public debate which
> highlights an argument that restricts freedom and suggests Open Source is
> the silver bullet (whether users like it or not).

I have been talking with various people from the smaller parties about these
issues, and hope to tilt their perspective a bit. They're definitely trying
to do the right thing, but we must help them find the best way. We're not so
good at the politicking, they're not so good at the hacking -> teaming up is
lots of fun. :-)

- Jeff

--
Get Informed: SCO vs. IBM                            http://sco.iwethey.org/

    "It's like having someone say to you, 'You should get back together
     with your first wife. You guys were good together'. It's not that
                  simple." - David Byrne on Talking Heads