[Linux-aus] AFR: No mandate on open source, says Qld

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Tue Jul 22 14:07:01 UTC 2003

Read it and weep ;-)

http://afr.com/premium/articles/2003/07/21/1058639726733.html

 The Queensland  government is reserving judgement on open-source software
 and maintaining its use of Microsoft technology instead.

 Microsoft is one of the state's key technology partners following a
 whole-of-government licensing deal that continues through to the middle
 of next year.

 "We've saved a lot of money by entering into the Microsoft agreement as
 well as eliminating licensing risks," Mr Lucas said.

- - -

If anyone knows how these whole-of-government regimes works, you will know
that there's no point in trying to get anything bar the status-quo into a
department. It's too much of an up-hill battle. Therefore, the idea of
'Sure, we aren't against Open Source; departments are free choose it if it
has merits.' is junk. There may be a handful of instantiations here and
there, but not hundreds, nor thousands. And the sheer fact that it's such
an uphill battle will eventually allow those in power to claim 'look, we
let them decide to select Open Source, and they didn't. Obviously it's
just not good enough, and there's no demand amongst the departments.'

It's also good to see the Minister state, in effect, 'don't look how much
we've spent on Microsoft software, look how much of a discount they gave
us!'

Nauseating. Simply nauseating.

Are there any QLD'ers around? What's your take on all this?

con