[Linux-aus] Re: National Open Source Industry Cluster

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Mon Jul 21 10:36:36 UTC 2003

Good morning, Con!

I forwarded a copy of your message to the SLPWA members list as per your
request, and they are here CC'ed. You will need to join to post there,
or rely on the moderator's punctuality and goodwill; it's MajorDomo at
the moment but might be MailMan later.

I don't know that we need to cross-post *everything* to all lists, I
feel inclined to run the conversation between Committees and only crowd
the other lists with the interesting details and/or regular updates.

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 09:37, Con Zymaris wrote:
> also, perhaps we might use opensource.org.au as the platform for
> such a group. Thoughts?

LA would *probably* be in that (my personal hatless opinion, not ex
cathedra on behalf of LA or anything), provided you kept prominent
links to LA, AUUG and os.o on the front page. Our "urgentest" purposes
in acquiring the domain at the time was to keep it out of `enemy' hands
and to secure an appropriate common ground for LA and AUUG. Having an
independent purpose for it coincides with my ideas about what it should
be doing.

SLPWA matches your specs except for two items, and both of those choices
were taken deliberately.

The items in question are `4)' from the first list and '3)' from the
second.

<hat label="SLPWA-OCM">
We chose other than '4)' - Act as a national co-ordinator - Because
SLPWA expressly decided to aim to be a State level organisation (a
matter of reach, but if not that then because each State's procurement
operates differently and SLPWA's focus is business).

We chose other than the second '3)' - (not) Be Linux-specific - because
Linux is a more widely recognised totem for open source in action than
open source itself is, and because in practice each of our businesses
leans heavily on Linux.

We have discovered through experience with PLUG that this move is
reasonably well understood by *BSD people (modulo one zealot whom I can
think of).
</hat>

So what would you call such an org? Simply `Open Source Australia'
(OSA)? Or something more interesting like `Australian Open Source in
Science, Industry and Education' (AOSSIE) and let the `Politics' remain
implied)?

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA